Featuring 3M Liqui-Cel Membrane Contactors
PowerFlow Fluid Systems is helping craft breweries and beverage packagers integrate clean, simple, innovative dissolved gas control into expansion and upgrade projects. Liquicel membrane contactors are the core technology for these systems. Capable of both adding and removing gases to liquids, Liquicel Membrane Contactors provide a versatile, compact, in-line solution that delivers rapid deoxygenation, decarbonation, carbonation, and nitrogenation of liquids to precise concentration levels. Using this advanced membrane-based DAW system in your production line will increase operating efficiency and reduce guesswork while maintaining or improving product quality, consistency and stability.
Total dissolved gas control
3M Liquicel Membrane Contactors provide efficient dissolved gas control in a compact design. Capable of adding or removing dissolved gases and bubbles from water, beer, wine, ciders and other beverages, these gas transfer devices utilize hollow-fiber membrane technology for improved operating efficiency, performance and product quality. They have replaced vacuum towers, forced draft deaerators, and sparging systems for over 20 years. This video provides a brief overview of the operating principles of the Liquicel contactors.
Key features and benefits
Rapid in-line gas control
• Can provide near instantaneous DAW on-demand
• May eliminate the need for tanks or pumps
• Can eliminate labor and simplify production
• Reduces hold-up time in gas absorption, speeding up production
Compact and versatile
• Allows for installation in tight spaces
• May reduce or eliminate construction and expansion costs
• Can be mobile and used in multiple process steps
Predictable and precise
• Gas concentrations can be precisely controlled to consistently meet target specifications
• Bubble-free gas injection helps with foam head stability
High performance and efficient
• Can reach 1 ppb oxygen to help protect product quality and reduce the risk of can corrosion
• Smaller pumps and efficient use of sweep gases may lower operating costs
• Systems can be scaled up to meet future expansion needs
PowerFlow upgrades water quality control at North Texas brewery
PowerFlow designed and built this 30 gpm DAW system utilizing 3M Liqui-Cel technology for a 40,000 bbl/yr craft brewery in North Texas. The system was installed in 2020 and provides deaerated water (DAW) on-demand with less 20 ppb of dissolved oxygen. Precise control of water quality parameters like DO contributes to improved product consistency, product quality and shelf life. The DAW is currently used for packing transfer piping and pushing water for the brewery. Future plans include connecting the system to the bottle rinsing line and other post-fermentation processes.